February 8, 2011

thirty

I turned 30 a couple of weeks ago. Surprisingly to me, it wasn't the earth-shattering, end-of-life-as-I-know-it event that some people had made it out to be. Honestly, it was just another day.


My husband certainly made it a memorable one, pulling off a fabulous surprise dinner with my close friends and family three days after my milestone so I wasn't suspect in the least! But prior to my secret celebration, he arranged for a sitter and took me to Thomasville for dinner at our favorite spot, Jonah's.




I love car rides with my hubby because we never lack for conversation. In true 30 fashion, our chit-chat revolved around that rather unintimidating number. He listed 30 things he loves about me, and we bantered back and forth about the 30 most memorable events throughout our relationship. It was one of those times I wished I had a video camera to record every utterance, every laugh, and every glance because the detailed memory fades too quickly.


The ride home was more of the same. But I pulled out paper and pen when we began discussing 30 things we'd like to instill in our son. This certainly isn't an exhaustive list, though some of you may think it's exhausting! I don't think I can even grasp how valuable this list is or will be to us in the future.





So, to our precious son, full of innocence and potential and wonder, here are 30 things we hope to teach you or instill in you as we shepherd your heart and steward your life. (They occur in no particular order...)
  1. Your purpose is to glorify God, and your goal is to live a life worthy of Christ.
  2. You are to treat women with dignity and respect.
  3. A deep admiration, loyalty, and love for family.
  4. You are no more deserving of the love and grace of God than someone else.
  5. An understanding of mature, biblical manhood and womanhood.
  6. The joy and necessity of Scripture memory.
  7. A deep, abiding love and insatiable hunger for the Word of God.
  8. The value of close friends.
  9. A humble compassion for "the least of these".
  10. An understanding of the pricelessness of purity.
  11. A comprehension of the vastness of the lost world, coupled with an understanding of the magnitude of the power of the gospel to change lives.
  12. The power and freedom of forgiveness.
  13. A strong work ethic and an appreciation for doing things with excellence.
  14. The value of laughter and fun.
  15. Always have God at the bottom of your joy.
  16. Circumstances do not hinder the power of Christ.
  17. Honor those who've journeyed further than you and spend more time listening to them than talking to them.
  18. The importance and timelessness of a thank-you note.
  19. The reality that we do not battle against flesh and blood.
  20. The ability to dance...and make up an impromptu rap. :)
  21. Life and death are in the power of the tounge.
  22. The wise see danger and seek refuge, but fools keep going and suffer for it (Proverbs 27:12).
  23. God never wastes experiences.
  24. Salvation is an act of God from start to finish.
  25. The courage to stand for what is right regardless of the sacrifice.
  26. Never underestimate the power or consequence of one simple act of obedience or disobedience.
  27. How to manage God's time discerningly as priceless gems and how to be a wise financial steward.
  28. Dream BIG!
  29. The importance of honesty and integrity.
  30. You will be shaped by the places you go, the books you read, and the people you meet.
It's a tall order, but we don't want to go wandering through parenthood aimlessly. Maybe in 30 years, when you're pondering 30 things, you can quiz us on our list. By God's grace, we'll instruct you and teach you in the way you should go.


30 has come and gone. But I'm grateful for a milestone turned into a priceless memory.

3 comments:

  1. Stephanie! i just discovered your blog and am so moved by this first (to me, anyway) entry that i absolutely cannot wait to read more. welcome to the blogosphere - i'm so glad you are her! xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love this! And I'm so glad you're blogging again. Praying for you and Ryan and T-Rice regularly! Love you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I have been PONDERING being more intenial with our parenting as well. This list has some fabulous points!

    I think you should video tape your next car ride, just for laughs later on...I might just do the same! Haha

    ReplyDelete